Privacy & Legal


By law, all educational institutions authorized to operate in the State of California must participate in the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF). The statement below explains your rights with respect to the STRF.

The Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) was established by the State Legislature to protect any California resident who attends a private post-secondary institution from losing money if he/she prepaid tuition and suffered a financial loss as a result of the school: (a) closing; (b) failing to live up to its enrollment agreement; or (c) refusing to pay a court judgment. To be eligible, you must be a “California resident” and reside in California at the time the enrollment agreement is signed or when you received lessons at a California mailing address from an approved institution offering correspondence instruction. Students who are temporarily residing in California for the sole purpose of pursuing and education, specifically those who hold student visas, are not considered a “California resident.”

To qualify for STRF reimbursement, you must file an STRF application within one year of receiving notice from the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education that the school is closed. If you do not receive notice from the Bureau, you have four (4) years from the date of closure to file an STRF application. If a judgment is obtained, you must file an STRF application within two (2) years of the final judgment.

It is important that you keep copies of the enrollment agreement, financial aid papers, receipts or any other information that documents the monies paid to the school. Questions regarding the STRF may be directed to:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary
and Vocational Education
400 R Street, Suite 5000
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3427